Dear all,

Many of you will be aware of the very sad incident involving a pupil and staff from St Thomas Becket Catholic School which occurred yesterday at Our Lady of theAnnunciation Church in Bingham Road, Addiscombe.

A pupil is currently in hospital after being seriously injured when their costume caught light on a candle during a carol concert. Members of school staff were also injured.  We are supporting the staff, pupils and wider community, and I’m sure all those affected are also in your thoughts at this very difficult time.

We know that candles are used in many ceremonies at this time and others throughout the year. Yesterday’s incident is a reminder of the importance of considering health and safety implications around all services, and ensuring that risk assessments are carried out and kept up-to-date.  London Fire Brigade publish safety advice around candles here  

We will be working with the school and the Diocese to review the circumstances around this incident and what steps can be taken to minimise the risk of anything like this happening in future.

If you would like help or advice on any of the above, please don’t hesitate to get in contact.

Jo Negrini, Chief Executive, Croydon Council, and Andrew Williams, LFB Borough Commander